Moore Industries has released the SIL 3-capable STZ Functional Safety Smart HART Temperature Transmitter family. Part of the FS FUNCTIONAL SAFETY SERIES, the STZ is a dependable and accurate temperature transmitter for use in Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) where dangerous processes occur. The STZ has been certified by exida after rigorous evaluation to ensure conformance with strict IEC 61508:2010 standards for safety-related applications.
The new STZ offers a dual sensor input that reduces process interruptions. Backup and Fail-Over Protection allows either of the sensors or inputs to be designated as the primary measurement, with the secondary input acting as the backup sensor in case of primary sensor failure. The dual sensor input also allows for Average and Differential measurements along with High-Select and Low-Select options.
The STZ also features Moore Industries’ Device Intelligence, a series of features designed for smarter control and monitoring including:
- Sensor drift and corrosion detection that checks and alerts users when the sensor is drifting out of a preset range or when the resistance due to corrosion exceeds set parameters.
- Smart range alarms with four HART alarms – set to any input or calculated input – that detect when the variable is within or outside of user preset limits.
- A High Availability option that enables the selection of how the AO behaves when there is an input failure or out-of-range value detected by the transmitter. This helps prevent spurious trips or nuisance alarms in Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS).
- Input simulation capability allowing manual input of a direct or calculated value. This essentially simulates a real input, allowing users to test the AO or any HART diagnostic and range alarms – which assists in proof test procedures.
The STZ is HART 7 compliant with exception-based reporting and dynamic variable mapping. It is HART and DTM programmable with user-oriented basic configuration for fast and accurate setup. Utilizing the HART DD, it can be configured and interrogated on the 4-20mA loop via any HART handheld communicator or HART compatible host. To prevent unauthorized or accidental reconfiguration of the STZ while it’s performing its safety function, it has an added security feature to allow users to set HART communication into a Read Only or Off mode. Users can also program or monitor the transmitter with any FDT compliant host or program such as PACTware using the STZ DTM.
The STZ is the latest addition to the FS FUNCTIONAL SAFETY SERIES of products designed for safety applications. It joins three other products that have achieved a SIL rating:
- SSX and SST Safety Isolators and Splitter – SIL 3 in monitor mode (where only the input circuit is part of the safety function) and in an SIS up to SIL 2
- STA Safety Trip Alarm – SIL 3
- SRM Safety Relay Module – SIL 2
These products have been designed and built to strict IEC 61508 standards, ensuring safe and reliable function – particularly in environments where hazardous or emergency situations are likely to occur. Detailed FMEDA reports are also available for all FS Functional Safety Series Products.
Although using Proven In Use data is an acceptable approach per the IEC 61508 standard, designing instruments in accordance with the standard from the ground up forces the components and circuit design to undergo additional scrutiny that ensures the highest level of reliability. Leading third-party safety auditing firm exida audits Moore Industries products and processes to ensure they are in compliance with the IEC 61508 standard. With this certification, end users can rely on FS Functional Safety Series instruments to perform as expected and when demanded.
FS Functional Safety Series instruments are just some of Moore Industries’ products that are appropriate for safety applications. FMEDA reports are available for many of Moore Industries’ instrumentation products commonly used in safety-related settings.
More information on Moore Industries’ FS Functional Safety Series is available at http://www.miinet.com/safetyseries.
For more information, contact Moore Industries-International, Inc., 1 Lloyds Court, Manor Royal, Crawley, West Sussex RH10-9QU, United Kingdom; Telephone: 01293 514488; FAX: 01293 536852; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Web Site: www.miinet.com/uk.